Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Octopus machine

 


This is an editorial piece for an article on human consumption. It is a reflection on how, in a near future, natural resources will not be enough to satisfy the fast growing, hungry population. I depicted a futuristic machine in charge of feeding the population of mindless, savage, mouths.

PROCESS:



 
 
I had 3 different ideas for this project, but it was decided to go with the octopus machine. I had to deal with a long vertical strip for my image, which could be challenging. Initially I thought of having the image constrained by the dimensions, but later I was given permission to break the border, because it made for a much clearer message and a better composition with more sense of depth. I used a lot of reds for this image because I wanted to give a sense of danger, as the human resources are running out.
 
PAINTING PROCESS:
 
I transfer my drawing to Illustration
board & seal it w/ workable fixatif


I begin with thin glazes of paint
(undertone)




I try to solve as many problems
as I can w/ the undertone


The undertone is the foundation

I begin to add thicker paint following
the undertone








 


No comments:

Post a Comment